Close Menu
No Recovery No Fee
Hablamos Español
Call Now For A Free Consultation
Florida Keys Injury Lawyers > Blog > Car Accident > What Kind of Doctor Should I See After a Car Accident?

What Kind of Doctor Should I See After a Car Accident?

Always seek immediate medical attention after a car accident, even if you feel fine or have no visible injuries. Some symptoms can take days or weeks to present. If you put off treatment until your symptoms worsen, you may develop serious complications.

You should ideally go to a doctor with experience treating crash victims. However, other types of physicians may also be able to help you, depending on the nature and severity of your injuries.

Types of Doctors To See After an Auto Accident

Here are some kinds of physicians who could treat your accident injuries:

Emergency Room Doctors

The emergency room can be the first point of call for car accident victims. Emergency room staff will examine you and assess your physical condition. If your injuries are severe or life threatening, you’ll receive treatment on the spot.

Otherwise, the emergency room physician may provide basic treatment or medication to start your healing, then send you home or refer you to another specialist or hospital department.

Urgent Care

Urgent care doctors are similar to primary care physicians — with the added benefit that they can typically see you on a first-come, first-served basis. That means you can usually access basic medical care and limited testing on the day of the accident.

However, if you require more advanced treatment or comprehensive testing, you’ll need to follow up with another specialist.

Primary Care Physician

If your injuries aren’t severe, you might think that your primary care physician would be able to provide the treatment you need. While that’s technically true, don’t be surprised if your family doctor refuses to see you after a car accident.

The majority of primary care physicians refuse to bill Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance and so prefer not to treat car accident victims.

Another reason your family doctor may refuse to see you is that they don’t specialize in traumatic injuries and lack the expertise to deal with crash victims. You might be better off seeing a chiropractor or pain management doctor instead. Besides, it can take days and even weeks to squeeze you in for an appointment.

That said, you may need to follow up with your primary care physician to monitor the progress of your healing after receiving specialized care.


A chiropractor is first point of call for most car accident victims.  Why?  Chiropractors can usually get accident victims in the office on short notice, they know how to bill PIP and, most importantly, they can provide immediate relief for neck and back pain.  They are also good at diagnosing more serious issues that would require a referral to a specialist. 


Depending on the type and severity of your injuries, you may also need to see specialists such as:

  • Neurologists
  • Neurosurgeons
  • Orthopedic surgeons
  • Physical therapists
  • Plastic surgeons

Regardless of the type of care you need, the essential thing is to seek medical attention promptly. Even a minor impact can cause serious complications that may not be apparent at first.

How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help

Lawyers won’t heal your injuries or provide medical care. They can, however, ensure you have the referrals you need. They can also connect you with doctors that specialize in auto accident injuries and PIP billing, which can be complicated and cause delays with your insurance payout if not done properly.

Additionally, a personal injury attorney can help you seek compensation for your medical bills and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf. If the other side refuses to settle or makes a lowball settlement offer, your attorney can take your matter to court.

Were You Involved in a Car Accident in Florida? We Can Help.

Our skilled team at Florida Keys Injury has been representing car accident victims for over a decade. We can connect you with an experienced car accident doctor and help you seek compensation for your medical expenses and other accident-related losses.

Don’t wait to seek help: Call 786-605-8500 today or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2021 - 2024 Florida Keys Injury. All rights reserved. This law firm